It seems like everyone has made an Ogden Cami. Its’s achieved platinum status in the Indie realm. This of course made me very interested and very skeptical of the hype.
The Ogden is famous for using very little fabric – allegedly under a yard! I have many scant yards of remnants in my stash, so I finally bought the pattern to see what all the fuss is about.
I had 1.5 yards of a 45″ wide cotton set aside for my first Ogden. I made it a challenge to see how little of that yardage I could get away with. I lay the fabric out completely flat, and folded the selvages to the center (actually, a bit off-center to accommodate the pattern pieces).
I got away with nearly a yard, just a bit over – which was true to my expectations – I didn’t really think it would come in under 1 yard! That much is disappointing, I doubt I can use it to eat up all my scraps.
The construction method for the straps is really cool, you sew them in as you attach the facing to the neckline. The results is a really clean finish with even straps.
To tell the back from the front, I embroidered a little design on the facing. Its the same design I put on my pants pockets. I probably should have used a hoop for this, but I was too hasty, so they’re a little off kilter.
This pattern really needs fabric with a fluid drape – I think it would look amazing in rayon. The cotton I used is too stiff and it shows. My highest compliment to this pattern is that the bust is fitted enough to never gape, making it a perfect alternative undergarment. But…it fits like a tent under the bust.
My verdict – I need to grade it down in the waist and use a fabric with oodles of drape to avoid tenting, but otherwise it’s a sound pattern!
My favorite way to wear this is with an open button-up shirt, which is the reason I made it- to enable more outfit possibilities.
Thanks for reading ❤